Business Plan 2013/2014
The 2013/2014 year is full of opportunities for the businesses in the community to flourish and grow. The Gillam Chamber of Commerce activities for the year will focus on 4 areas for improvement: Retail Development, Community Pride, Engaging Our Youth and Chamber Membership.
1. Retail Development - Increase retail businesses and improve quality of life in the Town of Gillam.
- Chair Town Hall Meetings to inform and educate citizens of planned upgrades within our community. The forum should include Chief of Fox Lake First Nation, Manitoba Hydro - Division Manager of Gen. North and the Mayor or CAO of the Town of Gillam.
- Advocate for an area of the mall to include setup of weekly/bi-weekly/monthly Farmers Market.
2. Community Pride - Develop and maintain a sense of ownership by all members of the community.
- Promote keeping our community clean. Have a Spring and Fall event, use Community Justice Committee as resource for labour.
- Gillam Best Yard Contest.
- Christmas Yard Decoration Contest, categories for both businesses and residents.
- Complete short term repairs/cleaning to VIA Train Station, install informtion kiosk in station for tourists.
- Complete repairs to train and caboose at Bette Winner Park.
3. Engage Our Youth - Increase entrepreneurial activity with the youth of Gillam.
- Communicate Scholarship opportunities to graduating students in early fall. Discuss essay compositions based on most viable (or most creative) future business ventures that students foresee.
4. Chamber Membership - Attract and retain all businesses in the Town of Gillam to the Chamber.
- Invite all Businesses and persons interested to join and participate.
- Have guest speakers/ subject matter experts present on business topics at our meetings.
- Members welcome to do promo minute about business, new information.
Future Speakers -Fred Palmer, CSA on Chamber Insurance Program